We are collecting supplies to make UMCOR (United Methodist Committee on Relief) Birthing Kits during the month of May to bring to the New York Annual Conference in June. They will be delivered all over the world. Last year our conference collected over 3,000 health, birthing and school kits. Every 90 seconds worldwide a woman dies from complications during pregnancy or childbirth. That comes to 356,000 women a year, most occurring in the developing world. Annually, 4 million infants pass away within a month of being born. It goes without saying that when a mother dies, it dramatically increases the risk of death for her baby. Birthing kits provide the essential items to promote a safe, clean delivery and to encourage good after care. Using a birthing kit can double a woman’s chance of surviving the birth. We find it is easier to collect the materials and put the kits together as a group, which My Fair Ladies and Friendship Circle will do the first week in June. A collection box will be in the narthex for donations. Monetary donations can be placed in the collection plate made out to UMCM and clearly marked Birthing Kits. The deadline to submit your donation is Sunday, June 5.
- Small bars of soap (1-2 oz. size, in original packaging; small bars such as those found in hotels are acceptable). These can be donated year round.
- Receiving blankets (sizes may range from 28 x 28 inches to 32 x 32 inches — you can donate a large piece and we will cut it down to size, no thermal or fleece please)
- Clear plastic sheeting, 4 mil thick (1 square yard is needed for each kit)
- Gallon-size plastic sealable bags
- We also need to enclose $1 for each kit we provide
If you wish to donate money, we can purchase the plastic bags, plastic sheeting in large rolls (already 3 feet wide) and the receiving blankets tax exempt. We currently have enough razor blades, cotton string and vinyl gloves for this year. Last year we made 40 kits. Hopefully, with your help, we can make more this year.
Questions: Please contact Bobbie